Play mp4 Videos with subtitles in Windows Media Player 12

No I didn't! Did I?

Wow. It's been a long time since I wrote my last post on this blog. Maybe because I've been so busy with my day job, and I haven't had any problem with my computer for the longest time. But, since I have one tidbit I encountered recently, might as well post it, right?  Less chit chat, more with the tidbeat!

I've been watching videos (ahem, movies) more recently in mp4 format. mp4 as you know, is a commonly used format by Quicktime and iTunes (format definition can be found here. Thanks Wikipedia!). And I also love watching them with the subtitles on, so that I don't need to rewind what I didn't hear the first time.

The only thing is, I only watch my videos using Windows Media Player. Playing subtitles there is always a pain in the ass. You need a few plugins installed to be able to enjoy reading while watching (although I know most of you will argue using VLC as a default media player is better, but to each is his own preference :) ). But I noticed that when I play the mp4 videos on wmp, even with the subtitle set to "on", the subtitles doesn't show up! And to think I bombarded my wmp with codecs and plugins to make any video format with subtitles work on it! So again, doing research on Google, I found the quick fix.

Photo credit: codecpack.co
I downloaded a program called Local Subtitles for WMP. It is a small, 1.0 mb program that once installed, shows up on wmp's plugins tab. After installing the program, all you have to do is rename the subtitle file to the same name of the video file and put them in the same location (preferably a folder). Then play them via wmp and viola! not it works!

Keep in mind thought I only tested this with an .srt extension type of subtitle file, since this is the most common format used on subtitles. If it works on other types (.sub, .idx, etc), then it's much better!


till the next tech tidBeATs!



download the program

Latest version: 1.6 (06 Jul 2011)
License: Freeware
System requirements: Windows XP/Vista/7
Download 32-bit: WmpSub.msi (1.0 MB)
Download 64-bit: WmpSub.msi (1.0 MB)




source:
codecpack
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment